December 10, 2017

Godless: Season 1


Liked this, didn't love it. Here's a take. I think if Godless comes out, as is, as recently as 2014, and airs over 7 weeks on HBO or AMC or something, it's one of the most noticed and beloved shows of the year - by critics, by the masses, by me. But here in 2017, released without fanfare by Netflix the day before Thanksgiving, it feels like it barely registers. This is a phenomenally made show, pristine and pretty and tightly written enough with tons of memorable and multi-dimensional characters - and yet I can't shake the feeling that it's completely irrelevant in the bigger picture in 2017. I'm not suggesting that an immaculately made western miniseries has no value, provides no entertainment, or anything like that. But with so, so many shows pushing the envelope in a format sense, or a point of view sense, and with so many different stories out there, and with such a high variety of quality television, I just don't see the value a solid Western miniseries is bringing to the table in 2017. I still dug it, and especially liked the finale, but that's about as warm as I can get for this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment