December 10, 2017

South Park: Season 21


There were maybe two or three episodes I genuinely liked here in the latest season of South Park, and yet I can't bring myself to quit the show. Trey Parker and Matt Stone have been two of my favorite creative voices out there for like, twenty years now, but I just can't help but wonder if they've run out of things to say. Where South Park was once the sharpest and most brutal satire of, well, everyone and everything out there, today it feels dull and tame by comparison. This season - a season which takes place in 2017, of all years - premiered with an episode whose gimmick was, "white people love home renovation shows." Yikes!

Still not something I'm deleting from my DVR anytime soon. But, come on, South Park is better than this! I'll chalk the weak season up to the Fractured But Whole video game commitments and hope for another rebound in 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment