May 2, 2012

Shutter Island

Gallagan had a bunch of books on his shelf that were later made into movies I've seen, but for some reason I've persevered and read through all of them finally with the completion of Shutter Island. Dennis Lehane's been posted here a few times, but his novels are usually a little more straightforward than this. Shutter Island is still a gritty crime drama taking place around Massachusetts, but it's also a period piece that's proves to be a bit more experimental than Lehane's other novels. In the 50's U.S. marshal Teddy Daniels is called to a sanitarium located on an island off the coast of Cape Cod to investigate the disappearance of a patient, Rachel Solando. There's no evidence of Rachel making any sort of escape, and yet she leaves clues taunting Teddy and hinting at a much bigger conspiracy and the truth behind what goes on at the island. All of this culminates in a fantastic twist I'd put right up there with Fight Club and Usual Suspects- yeah, I know, I'm still treating the book like a movie. Even though I had seen the movie before, the book proved to be a taught thriller that kept me interested regardless of whether I saw plot twists coming or not. It's a great story that I'd recommend to any of my fellow bloggers- be it in book or movie form.

No comments:

Post a Comment