October 24, 2014

No Country For Old Men


Going into 2013 I made the New Year’s Resolution to not buy any movies. And here we are nearing the end of 2014 and I’ve only purchased two in close to two years. Yes, I’ve acquired a few other movies for free/as gifts, but I’m still proud of my performance. Anyway, this is one of those two. I heard Adam Carolla talking about how good it is and I decided that I had been away from it long enough to give it another watch. Target sells it for $7.50 so why not?

I was under the impression that I had seen this movie from beginning to end, but it turns out that I probably fell asleep back in the North Apartments (as was often the case). Anyway, there’s no denying that this is an awesome movie. Great performances. Great writing. Great everything. There are three main characters here. The good guy who is incorruptible, the bad guy who is incorruptible and the good guy who lets greed corrupt him. The incorruptible good and bad guys are both on the hunt for the corrupted good guy for very different reasons. One wants to save him; the other wants him dead. It’s super compelling stuff and I’m doing it a disservice here due to my laziness. However, I think there should have been a little more time spent with Tommy Lee Jones, the incorruptible good guy (sheriff) who is struggling with a society that has all but passed him by. Also, don’t watch this movie if you are hoping for a satisfying ending. It’s the perfect fit for the movie, but it didn’t leave me in the best spirits.

1 comment:

  1. If you are willing to call this a better movie than the Fellowship of the Ring (admittedly, not an easy call) then we can retroactively put it in the "Best Movie of the 2000s" tournament's Final Four. Probably the championship as well since Fellowship took out Return of the King in the Final Four.

    Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. I liked it my first time through and loved it my second. It kind of helps knowing what kind of ending you've got in store. I do think a lot of people who disliked it the first time through felt cheated out of a good ending or something - but as you said, it's the perfect ending for this particular movie.

    Also, I think Anton Chigurh may have been an inspiration for the Lorne Malvo character in Fargo. Just a hunch.

    ReplyDelete