April 15, 2013

Eastbound & Down: Season 3


Happy Marathon Monday, y'all. With work off today, and all kinds of house-cleaning and toilet-fixing accomplished yesterday, I've got little else to do but log. This is my second post of the day already, and I doubt it'll be my last.

Eastbound & Down came out of nowhere in 2010 to wow and impress me. My roommates and I watched it every week over its abbreviated six-week run, and it truly felt like one of the best shows on TV for a time there. The second season was anything but. I understand why the show decided to reinvent itself what with being the second act in a three act redemption story for Kenny Powers, but it was just far too different from the first season for me to really enjoy it. The third season? Act three. The conclusion. Better than the dark, strange, Mexican second season, but still not quite as good as the first one. Kenny has settled in nicely on the Myrtle Beach Mermen, a fictional minor league affiliate of the Texas Rangers. He lives it up with his teammate and best friend Shane, struggles to raise his infant son, and feuds with a promising young Russian prospect. All in all, it was a solid season. It ran a bit long at eight episodes, and we spent some time that felt very unnecessary with Kenny's parents in the middle there, but the season played out much better on DVD in a marathon session than it did one week at a time on TV. But isn't that so often the case?

In a surprise move - trust me, given the way this season ends, it's a total surprise - HBO renewed Eastbound & Down for a fourth season a year ago. I have no idea when it will air - probably this fall at the earliest, and possibly next spring - but prior to re-watching this third season on DVD, I had no interest. Now? I have interest. A good deal of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment