April 12, 2013

Jurassic Park


It's been twenty years since Jurassic Park was first released to theaters, and I just thought it was high time I read the novel that inspired the iconic film. In short, I loved it. It played out a lot like the film did, but had a few more characters and a few more scenes. Those characters also had more depth, and the surviving group at the end of the book was slightly different from the one at the end of the movie. Because I'd seen the movie half a dozen times - and most recently less than a week ago - I had a good idea about the way the plot would unfold. That didn't prevent me from enjoying the suspense and the terror associated with the catastrophic breakdown of a dinosaur park. One scene in particular, left out of the movie, gave me goosebumps. Many scenes in tandem kept me awake late one night in bed, half afraid that velociraptors were silently watching me, or that a tyrannosaurus's head would smash through my window at any second. All things considered, a great modern-day Frankenstein tale about the follies of creating and attempting to control dangerous monsters. I look forward to reading more Michael Crichton books, and in particular The Lost World. But not yet. Not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment