September 12, 2011

Breaking Bad: Season One



I was home from work for part of last week with some gnarly coughing and really had nothing better to do than just surf around on my iPad. Looking for some (any) entertainment to free me from my prison of an apartment I came across the oh-so-recommended Breaking Bad. Without much on the horizon, I said, “Eh, fuck it. I’ll give it a look over.”
Holy shit. I put the first season down in two days (only seven episodes, but still...), and have season two coming in through the mail. This show is up there with Lost as having the best, most intriguing pilot I’ve ever seen. I forget who here’s already been watching this show (probably the whole lot of you), but once again I’m slapping myself for not getting on this sooner. The writing, the acting... it’s all top notch. I think what I find most impressive is Bryan Cranston’s performance. Prior to this past week, I could only name two mediocre roles this guy has played. There’s the pervy dentist in Seinfeld and the panic-stricken father from Malcolm in the Middle - I didn’t care for this show that much either. Regardless, taking these two COMEDIC roles and then having Cranston become this shell of man who looks to break from his weak, pathetic life to become the King-Pin of crystal meth in Arizona is just... astounding.
There’s nothing more I need to add. If you haven’t seen this yet... well, I find it hard to believe you can’t appreciate this on at least some level (the story, suspense, acting... you name it). The only other thing this show has me pondering is how are my reactions going to be when I finally get off my ass to get on my ass again and catch up on all the other great gobbly-gook that’s out there. The Wire? Mad Men (I swear I’ll make it to the second episode one of these days)?Justified (I hear good things)? Dr. Who?
Fuck no. Sorry Webber, but there’s no way I’ll ever allow myself to watch an episode of this catastrophe. Whenever someone mentions this abomination to me, I just want to take their damn Whovian face and smash it through the next phone box I see. Arrrgghh! It make me so angry just to think about! I mean why are there so many doctors? They get regenerated? Bullshit. It’s just a tactic used so that this money machine and keep chugging along like the Energizer bunny. You want to know what makes a good story? An ending. Why the hell won’t this damn show just die already. It’s been going on since the 60’s and has over 200 episodes or something, I mean Jesus Christ. Soon it will overtake The Simpsons and their worn out welcome.
Speaking of which... Groening you’re on thin ice too. Consider yourself warned.
What was I talking about again? Oh, yeah. Breaking Bad. It’s worth a watch.

1 comment:

  1. The amazing thing is that as good as this first season is, it's got absolutely NOTHING on Season 2. And, in turn, Season 3 is even better than Season 2. THis is the greatest show on television today. Also, while Cranston is fantastic (and only gets better), look for his junkie partner, Aaron Paul (Jesse), to match his abilities and be just as Emmy-worthy.

    ReplyDelete