August 26, 2012

The Gunslinger


I have not posted in a long time so I figured I would get around to posting today. To be honest, I finished this book about three weeks ago but I have been having a hard time deciding what I was going to say about it. This is my first Stephen King book and I have been told that it is not his best. With that in mind here goes my post on the Gunslinger the first book in the Dark Tower series.

I decided to read this book series for one simple reason. One of the Westford Fantasy Baseball division names was the Katet and I wanted to know what that meant. I asked Sweeney and he said its from the Dark Tower books and directed me towards The Gunslinger as the starting point. Well I read the Gunslinger and I never found out what the Katet was so I guess I will just keep having to read the series till I get to that part.

Another blogger already did a pretty good recap of the plot to this story so I will forego that and talk briefly about how I felt regarding this book. The book starts off very slow and I had a hard time getting into it but since others had warned me about that I decided to push through. It wasn't until the last chunk of the book that it began to pick up at all and I got somewhat of a sense as to what is going on. Near the end I decided it was something I could really get into. Mentally I went from thinking "this book is bordeline unreadable" to " I could read more of this series." It was a pretty quick swing and it really came out of nowhere. I've been told that book two is a thousand fold better than book one so that is where I am at now. For the time being I've decided to take a quick break from the series, read a couple other books and then get back to the Dark Tower series when the mood strikes me.

As a side note this is the first book I started and finished on my Kindle Fire. That's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment