August 28, 2012

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk

Sure, last time I posted a book I said I'd return to some authors I've read before and try to finish up their booklogs, but I received this short book, Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, as a birthday gift from my girlfriend, so I figured I could check it out first. Have I mentioned Katie's love of squirrels? She's all about them. Anyway, I've heard good things about David Sedaris, mostly about Me Talk Pretty One Day. In Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, Sedaris isn't attempting anything too thought-provoking; it's about twenty short stories which feature talking animals- a sort of modern day set of fables. Sometimes they worked, and sometimes they didn't. Actually, they really only worked when Sedaris was trying to bring the funny. For instance, I have no idea why Sedaris named the book after the story about a squirrel who dates a chipmunk who later breaks up with him due to family disapproval; it didn't really go anywhere and wasn't particularly memorable. On the other hand a story about an Irish setter's job impregnating the females of his breed and its strain on his marriage would be a serious drama if it somehow worked with people, but reading a dog saying "It's my job, dammit!" makes it hilarious. Reminds me of this guy. What can I say? Talking animals are cheap laughs, but they're laughs anyway. I don't think he really achieved the 'modern day fables' thing he was trying out because these aren't smart stories that tell an interesting lessor or anything, but Sedaris is still pretty funny and I'll probably check out Me Talk Pretty One Day... one day.

2 comments:

  1. If you think talking animals are funny, check out "Animal Farm". Book's non-stop with the knock-knock jokes!

    ...it's a slow day here in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to know that Katie likes squirrels. You never know which way the wind will blow in Secret Santa, and by "the wind will blow in" I mean "Sheridan will fix."

    ReplyDelete