August 1, 2012

Back-Blogged Turns Three

I'll keep this short, because damn am I tired. But yeah, our little community/project/mission is three years old now. How are we looking? It's complicated.

PERSONALLY:


Books
Movies
TV Sets
Video Games
TOTAL
Aug 1, 2009
29
31
11
77
148
Aug 1, 2010
42
11
5
66
124
Aug 1, 2011
32
7
23
61
123
Aug 1, 2012
30
9
19
51
109

My record speaks for itself. When the blog began I had 148 items in my backlog. A year later I was down 24 items to 124 overall. The following year I was down by just one, to 123. And in the past year I've netted 14 loggings, giving me 109 left overall. In three years, I've lost 39 backlog items, which puts me on pace to finish this little mission of mine about eight years from now. Naturally, I'd like to do better. And I can. The hardest part will be the video games, but I've been chipping away at those pretty diligently. The real key will be reading the books at a faster clip, something I've drastically improved upon in these past few months. Overall, I had an okay Year 3. It was better than Year 2, but really, it had to be. Let's see if I can't improve even more in Year 4.

OVERALL:

It appears that interest is flagging. We've got eight contributors now, but only three have really been active whatsoever as of late. Marissa has made two posts in the past five months. Dee has made one. Webber has made two. Keith hasn't posted in three months. Brian hasn't posted in close to a year. That leaves Trevor and the original pair of Sweeney and me still regularly contributing to this blog, and none of us are doing so with the same frequency as, say, two or three years ago. But I don't blame us. Life happens. When this project began, Sween and I were 22 and 21 years old, respectively. I had a year of college left. Sween was single. There was free time aplenty. Now we're very much in our mid-twenties and a lot of our priorities and free time allocation have changed. This stuff happens. In fact, part of the reason I want to finish all of my unfinished games, movies, and books sooner rather than later is because I know that the older I get, the harder (and less important) it'll be for me to find the time and energy to finish some of these things. Logging is a young man's game, I guess, and the fact that we've all slowed down a bit is only natural. (Having said that, I'd love to do better.)

And that's all I've got for now. Good year and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment