September 27, 2011

Blindness


Sweeney enjoyed this book, I found this book on a "best books of the 20th century" list, I bought this book for six dollars. Sweeney has already explained the gist of the book, everyone goes blind suddenly, the blindness spreads like a pandemic, Will our seven unnamed heroes survive? If you're wondering why I'm using such piss-poor grammar, It's because this is the way Saramago writes, using sentence fragments, Lots of commas, few conjunctions, no quotation marks, Sometimes capitalization of the first word in a fragment. This was easily my biggest problem with the book, A decent book otherwise, Not an easy book to read, Who is talking? No one knows who is talking. No characters are named, no quotation marks are used, the dialogue flows freely and chaotically, I suppose there's an element of style to that, But still that is annoying. Sadly I cannot say I loved this book, the concept was nice, the characters well-made, But why the piss-poor grammar? Originally written in Portuguese, the book could have been much easier to read and digest had the translator done the reader a favor by beating the shit out of the narrative with some serious Strunk & White. But no, the aimless syntax remains, I can't say I enjoyed it, I'm glad Sweeney did at least. This will be my last attempt at Saramago, maybe I'll see the Blindness movie, hard to imagine that version of the story giving me headaches and confusion.

1 comment: