March 12, 2011

Frisky Dingo: Season 2


So, if Season 1 of Frisky Dingo was directionless, Season 2 seemed utterly pointless. Things looked promising initially when, for whatever reason, Killface and Awesome X both decided to run for President. For most of the season - probably eight or nine episodes - this was the main focus. But then with only about half an hour of season remaining, that subplot was dropped entirely and the focus shifted to a gigantic mutant half-ant fetus. Huh? The season (and series) ended with Awesome X and Killface being abducted by aliens. Apparently a spin-off was made in which Awesome X's crew - the "X-tacles" - tried to adjust to life without their leader or their antagonist, but Adult Swim scrapped it after just two episodes, neither of which was included on this DVD. Will I go out of my way to watch those twenty-two minutes of additional irreverence? Maybe, but I'm certainly in no rush to do so. I guess Frisky Dingo was just another Adult Swim show. I mean, it was better than the average Adult Swim show, but it was just as zany and quirky, which is a good or a bad thing depending on what your own personal tastes are. I didn't hate this show at all, and I would definitely watch many of the episodes again, but it just didn't live up to the bar set by Sealab 2021 and Archer. That said, what show could have?

No comments:

Post a Comment