March 6, 2011

District 9


Hours later, I've logged a second very good movie that I've seen previously. Just another Saturday night in America, folks. District 9 was the sci-fi sleeper hit success story of 2009. It's about a bunch of aliens living as refugees in South Africa. The parallels to apartheid are obvious but subtle. Other satirization targets include the corporate military construct and general xenophobia. But the film isn't even a satire, really. It's a very raw-feeling sci-fi flick disguised and edited ever so slightly as a documentary. The finished product feels very well-crafted and polished and may even make you stop and think about what it really means to be human. I'd love to see a sequel to District 9., not because the story doesn't work perfectly well as a standalone, but simply because the movie was so well-made that no sequel from the same team could possibly suck. Fortunately, it sounds like I'll probably get my wish. Unfortunately, that may take another two or three years. But, hey, that's cool. I've got a whole lot of logging to do in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment