December 23, 2009

Snatch

I did not care for Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. So why would I go out and buy Guy Ritchie's follow-up, Snatch? Couldn't tell you. I probably just heard one too many people call it an awesome movie to ignore it any longer. And in my mini-quest to finish all of my '00s movies before the new decade begins, I decided to try watching this one a few nights ago. I fell fast asleep immediately. I tried again the next night, and again I fell fast asleep. I tried once more last night, and once more, I was snoring away barely five minutes into the movie. So I finally decided to just watch it during daylight. And you know what? I liked it. At first, I didn't. There appeared to be way too many characters and I couldn't quite comprehend the plot. This wasn't aided by the English accents every character had. But sooner or later I sort of met the movie halfway and finally started being entertained, at the least. Eventually, context clues filled me in on what plot points I had missed, and by the final half hour or so, I was completely on board. No, I didn't love it. But I did like it. And that's more than I could say about Lock, Stock. It won't make any of my "top films of the decade" lists, which is the whole reason I was so keen on checking it out before the new year hits, but it's not a movie I'll remember with contempt or disgust at all. Snatch was good, and that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment