December 13, 2009

Megaman 9

Originally an impulse purchase shortly after buying my Wii, Megaman 9 has become one of the longest-tenured of games on my backlog. There hasn't been a Megaman in the original franchise since the PS1 days, I believe, so this one intrigued me. It stays true to its retro roots, such as the 8-bit graphics, the overly cheesy fake box-art (I mean look at it!), and the way it doesn't bog a player down with extras like charged shots or sliding. Nothing but running, jumping and shooting. Classic Megaman. I slowly progressed through the game for about a month, eventually beating the 8th level sometime in October of 2008. After this comes Wily's Castle, a series of levels throughout which you cannot save or buy items. I tried it a few times and gave up pretty quick, up until last Friday when I decided to pick it up again. I played through it a few times but kept getting stuck on the finale- re-fight the original 8 bosses, then take on a 3-part Dr. Wily. After a few shots at Wily, I came to realize that there was no way I could beat Wily without any energy tanks, which meant I would have to buy items before starting any of the levels and get through them all somewhat unscathed, rather than stumble into the final level and use as many continues as I wanted but fighting without items. As it turns out, this wasn't so hard as it was time consuming. After switching methods to this, I realized that I knew these levels pretty well and was able to beat the game on my third attempt. What a relief. It was a little disappointing to see that I took just under 6 hours to complete the game, but I guess that doesn't count any of the times I tried playing the game for a few hours without making any progress. It was also disappointing to see Stan able to jump through the first two Megamans in a few nights. I mean, am I just terrible at this, or did they really up the difficulty on this one? A quick search on google for "relative difficulty Megaman" has produced nothing. I guess it's no big deal though, after all, Megaman 9 is done. I've got a feeling I can squeeze out a few more games in December, which is nice considering I just bought 3 big ones in Metroid Prime Hunters, Dead Space, and Mass Effect. Also a Wii title which should be finished within the next few days. The backlogging shall continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment