August 1, 2019

Jane the Virgin: Season 5


I started watching this show a couple years ago because back when I was in grad school and didn't have a kid, I had just all kinds of time to kill, and I'd seen bits and pieces of it while my wife watched the first two seasons, and I'd enjoyed them, and enough of TV Twitter really liked the show for me to go, you know what, fuck it, I'm taking the plunge.

It's been good! It's a really good show with all kinds of heart. But this fifth and final season started to grate at me in a way none of the previous four had. Call it a case of wearing out its welcome, I don't know! Maybe it was the very small shark jump when (spoilers) Jane's dead husband turned out not to be dead after all, throwing her into a love triangle that just wasn't executed nearly as well as it could have been.

But yeah - if I end up doing some sort of Best of the Decade list (and I'm sure I will) then this show's probably, oh, top twenty? Maybe thirty? It was good! It was good. But I'm glad it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment