July 29, 2018

Vida: Season 1


Here's a quick one - six episodes, half-hour each - from Starz that was getting at least some very minor buzz on TV critic Twitter back in like, May. The concept, in a sentence or two, is that two very different Latina sisters come back to their hometown to take care of things in the wake of their mother's surprise passing. (Uh, One Mississippi called...) They each reconnect with their old neighborhood and the people in it in different ways and to various extents, and feud with their late mother's lover over inheritance and what to do with the failing bar she was extremely underwater on.

This was classic good-not-great to me, a show where I could enjoy the characters and their conflicts, but that barely registered for me in any way beyond "these are some new faces, and I have never seen this particular demographic represented in stories like this before, and I'm glad that these stories exist, and I hope to see these actors again in other things."

In short - if you're not like me, and don't watch a hundred TV shows a year, this might not be worth your time. (But it's three hours of your time, so.)

No comments:

Post a Comment