March 7, 2017

Schitt's Creek: Season 2


I realized that last time I posted about this low stakes bingeworthy comedy, I didn't describe the premise whatsoever. Ready? A wealthy family gets screwed out of their entire fortune by a corrupt business manager and has to "rough it" out in Middle America (actually Middle Canada I think but who cares) while they await... actually, I'm not sure. They're just kind of there. The situation feels neither permanent nor temporary.

Like I said last time around, it's not great. But Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are here, doing their thing as well as they do it, and Eugene Levy's son Dan is here too, definitely the breakout star insofar as there is one. Oh, and Chris Elliott's here too! Doing his thing, playing Roland Schitt, the mayor of Schitt's Creek. Your mileage may vary - apparently he's a lot of people's favorite part of this dang show - but man, have I never been one for Chris Elliott.

I dunno. I've come this far - I might as well catch up with the current season of Schitt's Creek - the third one - but I can't pretend that this is above-average viewing. Good enough, easy enough, sure - and hey, sometimes a quick and easy comedy makes for wonderful DVR fodder, like that "clubhouse guy" in the locker room, you know?

Okay here's a thought that might adequately summarize how I feel about this show. I think the best parts of a lot of episodes are the cold opens. Does that sum it up? That might not sum it up. I'm sorry.  Forget we had this conversation. Carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment