March 12, 2017

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Season 2


A month and a half back when talking about Season 1 of this show, I said something to the effect of, "This will be an uphill sell, so I won't bother, but here, please check out these four or five video clips." Not sure how many of you did, but I do know Sweeney and Katie gave the show a shot... and almost promptly dropped it. Danielle did the same thing a year or so back when giving the show a chance long before I did. The consensus - and I get this, definitely - is that it's "a bit much" and "uncomfortable to watch." It's true - the pilot is more cringeworthy than funny, with the show making sure to nail the "crazy" in its title before worrying about the humor or the heart.

But as with so many other shows, it gets better. I was skeptical after the pilot, but ended up liking Season 1 plenty. Granted, I didn't love Season 1. I liked it, but the songs that popped up two or three times per episode were easily my favorite part of the show.

Here now, after Season 2, I can safely say that I love this show. Season 2 was only thirteen episodes long (and Season 1 was eighteen, so really, this isn't a typical network hour-long commitment) and while watching it I was no longer merely looking forward to the songs, but actually invested in these characters, their lives, their conflicts and friendships.

But I still know it's an uphill sell! And I know in the age of #PeakTV we all need to be wary of oversaturating our watchlists, and that checking something out and deciding to bail after one episode is, hey, very responsible, actually. But let me double down on my recommendation of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend after Season 2. This one's going to end up pretty high on the year-end list.

No comments:

Post a Comment