January 20, 2017

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Season 1


Alright. I know this will be an uphill sell - it's literally the lowest-rated show on broadcast network television and it's on the CW and there's not a single big name or recognizable face among its cast. It's a musical about a successful thirty-year-old lawyer who throws her career away and moves across the country in order to be closer to her middle school crush, which, hey, super uncomfortable, right? And I know my "Jane the Virgin is good" claims have fallen mostly on indifferent ears, so what good would pitching its Monday night lead-in do?

So, hey, I get it. And I won't push this on any of you. I promise. But please - at the very least - check out some - or all - of the musical clips below. That's all I ask. Maybe you'll see something you like!

Here's Rebecca going all single white female on her crush's beautiful girlfriend:


And here's Rebecca's very stereotypical Jewish mother arriving for a visit:


And here's the whole crew offering up a depressing but upbeat look at what Christmas in Southern California is like:


And here's Rebecca showing off her parent-impressing skills:


And here's another guy trying to convince Rebecca to forget about her ex and settle for him instead:


And here's the thing - these are five out of something like forty little song-and-dance numbers from the first season. And they're almost all fantastic. And there's no genre or subject that this show won't tackle. There's a Les Mis parody. There's a Disney villain-style song. There's a rap battle between Rebecca and her high school rival - a lawyer representing another firm. There are songs about sex with strangers, huge boobs, and coming out as a bisexual. Nearly all of them are total earworms. Most are hilarious. Some cut deeply. The five I've linked to aren't even necessarily my five favorites - they just seem to show off the breadth and depth of where this show goes and what it does.

Anyway, Season 2 is still airing, but almost over, and I'm pretty sure Netflix has this deal with the CW where once a season ends it hits Netflix in its entirety like a week or two later. So what I'm saying is, yeah, I'll be back soon with another season of this one, I'm sure. Loving it so far! So is Marissa.

No comments:

Post a Comment