January 2, 2015

Orphan Black: Season 2


Last April I made a post on the first season of Orphan Black in which I called the series "a solid B-level high concept sci-fi show... elevated substantially by its main characters and the actress who portrays them." That's as good a summary as any I could give for Season 2. Tatiana Maslany is still incredible and her various characters are all still interesting and unique. At times it felt like Season 2 tried to get a bit too cute. For instance, a scene with an impromptu dance party involving four clones was thrown into the season finale. That's pure, unfiltered fanservice, and nothing more. For another example, a transgender male clone appeared for one episode, and it just didn't fit with the show's tone at all. Maslany did what she could, but a deeper voice and some facial hair weren't enough to make me buy in. The show generally avoids one-off clone appearances, but I really hope that one - Tony - doesn't find his way back into the fray. Anyway, Season 3 returns in March or April, and as long as we still get BBC America I'm sure I'll watch it. If not, I can probably wait for the Blu-ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment