January 2, 2015

Recapping Keith's 2014


I’ve actually had a decent year on the blog mostly due to some restraint when it comes to purchasing. If I don’t count Danielle’s movies I’ve only acquired two this year (including Christmas!). If I count Danielle’s, that total goes up to six. I’ve acquired zero books and zero television series. My biggest sin here is that I’ve acquired sixteen games! With the eighteen movies, eighteen games, three books and zero TV that I’ve finished I’m either neutral or positive in every category. I’m +12 on movies, +3 on books, +2 on games and 0 on TV. Anyway, I’m happy with those numbers, but let’s see if I reached my goals:

2014 Goals
I'd like to finish five movies for every one I purchase. I only purchased two movies this year for myself and watched eighteen. This is a 9:1 ratio which makes me feel pretty good. However, two of the movies I watched were movies Danielle received for Christmas. This ratio shrinks to a still respectable 8:1. I’m calling this a met goal. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

I'd like to finish three video games for every one I purchase. Buying sixteen games this year made this goal pretty unattainable. Still, +2 isn’t a complete loss. MISSION FAILED.

I'd like to finish three TV seasons for every one I purchase. I bought nothing and watched nothing. I’ll take it, but it’s nowhere near my goal. MISSION FAILED.

I'd like to finish one book for every book I purchase. I finished three books and managed to acquire zero! I should have read more, but with an infinite ratio of books read to books acquired I can’t argue with the results. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

I plan on finishing all of my movies. Well I have 42 left. Better luck next year. I just didn’t focus on movies very much. My clear focus this year has been video games. MISSION FAILED.

I plan on finishing all of my PS3 games. I finished all but one. I am in the process of beating my final PS3 game ever. It won’t be long now as it’s a game I actually want to play. With Uncharted 4 coming this year I need to get a move on. MISSION FAILED.

I plan on finishing all of my books. I finished 3 of 5. MISSION FAILED.

2015 Goals
Video Games – I’d like to be +10. Additionally, I want to focus on completing previous generations. I’m sick of having games on my list that I got 15 years ago. With that in mind, I’m going to beat the following ten games:
Crackdown on Xbox 360
Dead Rising 2 on Xbox 360
Fifa 13 on Xbox 360
Perfect Dark on Xbox Live Arcade
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception on PS3
Heroes of Ruin on 3DS
Oregon Trail on 3DS
Midway Arcade Treasures 3 on GCN
Wave Race: Blue Storm on GCN
Donkey Kong 64 on N64

Movies – I’d like to be +15. I want to watch all six Star Wars movies with Danielle and I want to purchase five movies or fewer for the year.
Television – I’d like to be +5. I don’t want to acquire any additional other than maybe South Park. I hope to watch X-Files Season 1 with Danielle.
Books – I’d like to be +3. With two remaining, that means I have to actually buy a book. No promises. Anyway, I hope to have all completed by the end of the year. Cross Rhodes should be easy, but starting Game of Thrones is so daunting.
 
Awards
Best Movie Jurassic Park because this is my favorite movie of all time.
Best Game The Last of Us on PS3 because this is probably the best game I’ve ever experienced and easily one of my top five favorites of all time.
Best Book Blankets because I had such low expectations and it was pretty enjoyable.
Biggest Surprise Lord of the Rings: Return of the King on PS2 because I purchased this back in 2003 and put it off for so long. I remember the gameplay being very one dimensional but I discovered that was mostly because I was really bad video games back then.
Biggest Letdown Assassin’s Creed III on Wii U because I was so pumped for this when it was first announced. How do you make a game set in 1776 so boring? On top of that, the gameplay felt completely broken. FUCK this game.
Biggest Waste of Money Killzone: Shadowfall on PS4 mostly because it’s the only game on the list I paid full sticker price for. This was a serviceable shooter, but it was nothing special.
Best Bargain Super Smash Bros on 3DS because I purchased it from Best Buy for $32 and they gave me $33 in credit for it a week later.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of doing superlatives. Regular RanksForNothing readers (shut up) know that my favorite game of 2014 was Valkyria Chronicles and my favorite book was Lolita. I haven't thought too much about the more creative awards like biggest surprise and biggest letdown, but an early frontrunner for biggest letdown is certainly Assassin's Creed on my end - and also God of War II, but for reasons beyond the scope of the game itself.

    ReplyDelete