January 12, 2015

Mulholland Drive

I've tried to watch this film several times over the past few years. I would always put it on, reach the 30 minute marker, and, in fear of losing my fucking wits over this self-pretentious garbage, I would leap to my feet and rip the TV's power cord out of the wall. OK, slight exaggeration. But this movie does bore the crap out of me (which, in my world, is the one thing a film should never be... boring). Well, thanks to a team effort between a few friends, I was finally able to hunker myself down and power through... 


Mulholland Drive. 

I'm glad I've finally finished this movie, but I'm... I'm just not a David Lynch person. I liked The Elephant Man. That shit was great. But everything else I've seen of his; Eraserhead, Inland Empire, Twin Peaks (still have only seen a few episodes), Dune... I just can't get into it. 

Now, let me make this clear. This is not a bad movie. There's a lot said here, and -- to the right person -- said very well. Power messages about desire and the fear of failing to capture that desire are explored. Successfully so. But just in a weird, cryptic way that doesn't really reach me. Although, after I finished the film, much like a good movie should do, I kept pouring over it again and again in my head. When it first ended I thought it was complete nonsense. Just a pretentious mish-mash of Lynch-ian cookiness. And while it is very much that, there is also a gripping tale of greed, murder, and self-loathing. 

However, I'm really reaching out to through this post to see if others can help me pin down more of what to unpack from this film. I do have questions. Many. But first, a quick synopsis just to see that I've got the barebones of the narrative down. The film doesn't exactly spell itself out for you. 

We open to some Hollywood actress who gets caught in this (seemingly) premeditated car accident that she survives yet leaves her with amnesia. Stumbling down from the Hollywood hills all beaten up, a friendly wannabe-actress (visiting her aunt in town or something) takes her in and offers to help her figure out the mystery behind her amnesia. Then a lot of bullshit happens involving Justin Theroux, who plays some snooty film director I never care about. In this side-story, he's seemingly battling against the studio system. A studio system that seems to be run by some evil, corporate, men-in-shadows bullshit involving this guy:


Who Twin Peaks fans might know him best from this:

Arrrgh!!! David Lynch, your craziness makes me so angry!

So, there's that side-story of Justin Theroux getting bullied around as he attempts to make his new film, of which he's being forced to make it with some girl. I don't know. Some dude gets murdered for a secret black book. And two dudes explore the back alley behind a dinner only to discover some hideous bum who gives one of them a heart attack. Ugh... Nonsense.

But let me get back to our two ladies trying to solve a this amnesia-mystery. All their investigation finally leads them to a mysterious night club called: Silencio. After the performance, Naomi Watts finds a blue box in her purse and opens in with this blue key she's been carrying around. And then everything goes to shit...

It's a little difficult to explain how the last scene unfolds, but basically I think we realize that this whole film has been a delusion put forth by Naomi Watts' real character -- a burnt out, wannabe actress who's jealous of her more talented and successful friend (the girl who's originally suffering from amnesia). Pissed off by her friend's success, she orders a hit on her her with confirmation that the murder is complete being a blue key. Upon seeing the blue key, Watts launches out of her dream-like state and can't take the reality of her failures ultimately forcing her to shoot herself in the head. 

That's a horrible condensation of the plot, but I believe most of its meats-and-potatoes are there. 

So, my questions... I'll just tackle a few points because I don't want to be here all day. 

First, who were the two dude eating lunch in the diner? Why are they important to the story? And what was with the weird dude out back?

My first assumption is that this is just alluding to certain themes that will be addressed in the film. People ultimately only experience tragedy as they face their worst fears? I don't have a fucking clue and am not going to waste anymore time trying to figure it out. Moving on!

Next, the cowboy. Huh? Who is this dude? He gives the warning to Justin Theroux that if you see him twice, things are going to be really bad. And we see him twice. The second time being so random; just walks through a house party that he doesn't look like he's invited to. And, sure enough, things ultimately go bad. For Naomi Watts. But, wasn't it suppose to go bad for Theroux? I mean, Watts never met the cowboy. Yet, this is all taking place in her head, so I guess she's actually both the cowboy and Theroux. Ugh!!! Fuck this!!!

The old couple on the plane. These are the weirdos that bookend this shit-sandwich of a movie. We see them at the beginning wish Watts' made-up persona good luck in LA, then they come to terrorize the real Watts when she returns to reality. So, I'm guessing they're suppose to stand for her delusional state and guilt. Right? I don't know. They did kind of creep me out at the very end, though. 

And, last, what's with the club, Silencio. Everything is not as it seems. What's the message here? Since this whole movie's existence is predicated on thematic symbolism, my only guess is... I... I fucking don't know. Judging from how Watts is always running away from her fears of failure and how that diner guys get spooked from their fears in the back alley, I'm going to say it might relate something to that. But, honestly, if I have to exert one more of my already very limited supply of brain cells I'll be at risk for a stroke. And I'm still recovering from the last one I had while watching this student film reject. So, with that, I'll bid adieu.

Oh, any good praise? Naomi Watts acted the shit out of this and deserved that Oscar nomination way more than Lynch did. There done. 

2 comments:

  1. You've done more of a service to this film than I did in my review - which I believe began and ended with, "What the fuck?"

    Sounds like we had very similar reactions, though - knowing that there was plenty to unpack here, but having no real clue where to begin. In fact, I wrote, close to three years ago: "On a day where I felt more cynical, I'd probably be able to honestly call this one of the worst movies I've ever seen due to its complete disregard for cogent narrative and a semblance of a plot; on a day where I was feeling more artistic and generous, I'd probably be able to honestly call it one of the best movies I've ever seen because of the sheer number of memorable scenes, moments, and characters. I dunno. For me, the jury's still out. I liked what I just saw, but I'm not about to deconstruct it without the aid of a good night's sleep and several virtual pages of fan interpretations."

    I've had many a good night's sleep since then, and still have nothing concrete to offer you. The interpretation I've come to accept in the interim is just that David Lynch wanted to make a movie that emulated having a nightmare - not just frightening, but weird and disorienting, too. I think he succeeded on that front.

    One more time, just because its such a good scene, here's the pivotal scene where everything changes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrC3Bf-CvHU

    This is Mulholland Drive in a nutshell for me. Weird and surreal, but very beautiful. Then, at 3:10, "wait, what the fuck is going on here?"

    Anyway, here's some YouTube video promising analysis. It has a 50:1 like-to-dislike ratio. Maybe I'll watch it soon. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfQE0SOGG-g)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this movie; it's weird and bizarre and I can't come up with a better explanation than either of you guys but I think the fact that the parts almost make sense together but don't quite is what I like about it (frustrating, I know), but yeah what Trev came up with as the basic plot is about what I thought too. And yeah, Naomi Watts just crushed it. And that scene with Eyebrows (he showed up in Lost years later) walking behind Winkie's diner has stuck with me for years, just because they tell you exactly what's going to happen, and then it does, and it still takes you by surprise.

    For what it's worth David Lynch has said that there is a definite answer to what is going on but I assume no one's really figured it out yet fourteen years later (maybe I'll watch Stan's youtube clip after work), but he offered up these ten hints at the time, some of which seemed obvious when I first saw the film, some not:

    1) Pay particular attention to the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits
    2) Notice appearances of the red lampshade
    3) Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
    4) An accident is a terrible event … Notice the location of the accident
    5) Who gives a key, and why?
    6) Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup
    7) What is felt, realised and gathered at the club Silencio?
    8) Did talent alone help Camilla?
    9) Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind 'Winkies'
    10) Where is Aunt Ruth?

    These are discussed in-depth here: http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/10clues.htm but since I haven't seen Mulholland Drive in nearly a decade I haven't looked too deeply into them.

    ReplyDelete