December 14, 2014

Polar Express


Having never read this book before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Danielle, however, grew up on it. With that in mind, we watched it on the night of her birthday. It was an overall decent Christmas story, but some of it was a bit off-putting. For starters, every male adult is voiced by Tom Hanks. What's weirder is the fact that it seemed like all of them were modeled after Hanks. If you've ever wanted to see Tom Hanks as a CGI Santa or homeless man than this is your movie. It doesn't help that the CGI isn't amazing. It went for realism and because of it all the people just seem dead behind the eyes. I was underwhelmed and will probably not be going out of my way to make sure my kids see it.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I never saw this but I know it's infamous for the robotic look and dead eyes to the point where "The Polar Express effect" is a specific term for that creepy level of semi-humanness. I'll stick to the Poo-Choo Train thank you.

    ReplyDelete