December 15, 2014

Flow


"I'm using tilt controls!"

Here's a quick and simple game from way back when the PS3 launched in 2006. I would actually even hesitate to call it a game, as it seems much more like a pretty demonstration of the PS3's Sixaxis controllers. It's kind of weird how that gyroscopic feature never really caught on. I've now beaten 28 games on the PS3, including those beaten on PSN like this one, and in 27 of them I cannot remember having to tilt my controller forward or backward or sideways in order to accomplish anything. Here, in Flow, that's all you can do. You're navigating a little creature around in a sea-like environment trying to eat food and grow bigger while avoiding predators. There are only five or six different levels, but in each one you play as a different creature who moves around differently in some way. The whole thing couldn't have taken me more than an hour to "beat" - though it did take me two nights set weeks apart - but there's so little to the gameplay that it did grow tedious after a little while. Flow was nice enough to look at and unique among PS3 games for actually incorporating the system's motion controls, but there's just not much here.

No comments:

Post a Comment