July 15, 2014

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Free Wii U


I would just like to start by apologizing for my absence from the blog. I haven't been posting and I am excited to say that I have a re confirmed commitment to posting more often. Just because I haven't been posting doesn't mean I haven't been working on logging. I am currently playing more games than I can count and as of yet I haven't started a summer reading book but I intend to. Kara and I have been listening to the Harry Potter audio books because she has never read the series and that was a deal breaker for me. So what have I been working on most recently? Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for the Wii U.

My Wii U has gotten limited use but Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze has been a bright spot for the system. I have been religiously chipping away at this game a couple hours at a time since I got it several months ago. I went with the download version, using my Best Buy points turned into a e-shop card. The game was almost 20 gigabytes and therefore took up almost all my available space on the hard drive. Beating this game has been a priority for me so that I could delete it and download Pikmin 3 and Super Metroid both of which I got as a result of getting Mario Kart 8.

When I initially booted up the game I was hoping and praying for some reminiscent game play like from Donkey Kong Country from the SNES. I was not dissapointed. This game is a good old fashioned side scroller. The difficulty was on par for Nintendo and I would describe it as a difficult game. There were few levels that took me less than 10 tries to beat and several that took me well over 20. Additional lives were easy to come by so having to hit the game over screen was not something I experienced. The final boss took me fewer than 10 tries but was quite difficult. Overall the game took me a little over 20 hours of play.

The highlight of the game was the HD. When I first started I waited several minutes before moving because I was convinced that the cut scene hadn't ended yet. The levels were so well constructed that in many cases hidden items were hard to find because of how perfectly they blended into the background. I think Nintendo did a really good job showing what they can do with a HD platform. I look forward to other first party titles on the Wii U. Now that DK is beaten I can delete the file and download Pikmin and I hope the graphics are on par with Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment