July 27, 2014

Orange is the New Black Season 1



Danielle watched this show when it first came to Netflix without me for the most part. I caught a smattering of episodes, but nothing substantial enough to justify going straight to season 2. I liked what I had saw, but I never got around to watching it again until very recently. Though I find the protagonist Piper pretty annoying (I think that's the point), most other characters in the show are super relatable. And that's what make this show - the supporting cast. We get to see flashbacks into each of their lives (although those flashbacks sometimes miss the mark) and can't help but grow attached. If more focus was placed on the supporting cast and less on Piper I would have liked the show more (don't worry, that happens in season 2).

Anyway, to back up, we follow Piper Chapman is a fish out of water in jail. She's an affluent white girl who ends up in jail based on something she did when she was much younger. We watch her struggle with the dos and don'ts of prison and with making friends. She gets in her fair share of trouble. But, she sucks. She's selfish. She refuses to admit what she did was wrong. She blames others. I dunno. She's a perfect example of what's wrong with a lot of society today.

The show is interesting. I'd recommend it. Season 2 is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment