November 22, 2013

Dillon's Rolling Western


Here's a downloadable 3DS game I got free of charge for registering a few Nintendo products. Even for no cost, I still regret the acquisition; this one may not have cost me any money, but it just wasn't worth my time. And the frustrating part is, it really could have been.

The game is basically just a tower defense game with a unique twist: moderate adventure vibes! As Dillon the armadillo, you can explore the surrounding area you're trying to defend, getting power-ups and money and things you can sell for money. And then of course you can spend that money on your tower power-ups. But a Zelda tower defense game this is not. It's more of a jumbled mess of concepts, played out with a bad control scheme. Look, I know the DS has a touch screen, but any game that abuses that feature and makes you just tap and swipe repeatedly? I'd rather be button-mashing. Worst of all, this level-based game makes you replay levels if you don't complete them in a certain time. The added bullshit here is that the time limits aren't known until after you've completed the levels. And they're absurdly hard to make. I never once beat a level on my first try, which is total crap because the levels take a good half hour each.

All in all this just wasn't a good game. And it should have been! Dillon's an endearing enough protagonist and the "exploration adventure tower defense" genre has plenty of promise. But some bad gameplay design and poor control schemes sunk this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment