November 28, 2012

Paper Mario Sticker Star


I have long been a fan of the Paper Mario series so, obviously, I purchased this game on release day. It took me a little over two weeks and 25 hours of game play but I finally finished it. I wasn't sure how the series would translate to a  3DS title but I was pretty happy. The length was good for a DS game, and I still have a bit more to go if I want to be a completionist.

The game play was different from any other game in the series so far but that isn't unusual. The game relied on a turn based fighting system where you use stickers that you find on walls as attacks. The boot sticker for example gives you a stomp attack, the hammer a swing attack. Inside the sticker system there are also levels of sticker such as the shiny sticker and the flashy sticker and the big stickers. Also there are stickers that reveal parts of the level, stickers that open secret doors and many more. To be honest I was impressed how well they worked in this sticker system without being cheesy or annoying.

If you have a 3DS and like puzzle style Mario games and stickers then perhaps this is the game for you.

1 comment:

  1. So I've played the GameCube Paper Mario and the Wii Paper Mario, and I've seen gameplay from the original N64 one, and far and away the weirdest one was the Wii one. They had that whole rotating from head-on to sideways aspect and the gameplay was pure platforming where the rest in the series had been RPGs. WEIRD!

    ReplyDelete