May 2, 2012

Mulholland Drive


What the fuck?

Tempted as I am to leave my post after those three words, which honestly sum up my Mulholland Drive viewing experience quite succinctly, a film this unique deserves more. I'll do my best. I went into the movie knowing it was famous for being vague and obscure and without any real "correct" interpretation of events. That was fine by me, though; some of my favorite movies have always been puzzle-like in nature, forcing the audience to think about a movie hard and often, even long after the credits have stopped rolling. For a brief period of time in high school, for instance, I became obsessed with Donnie Darko, watching it five or six times in one month and scouring the Internet for various interpretations, at one point being absolutely convinced that I had "figured out" every single aspect of the story. And whenever I finish something like Memento or The Prestige, in which some grand twist is revealed at the end that changes the interpretation of the rest of the story, I'm usually ready to jump right back in immediately for a second viewing. But Mulholland Drive wasn't a "puzzle" movie in that sense, nor can I wrap my head around just about anything I just saw. On a day where I felt more cynical, I'd probably be able to honestly call this one of the worst movies I've ever seen due to its complete disregard for cogent narrative and a semblance of a plot; on a day where I was feeling more artistic and generous, I'd probably be able to honestly call it one of the best movies I've ever seen because of the sheer number of memorable scenes, moments, and characters. I dunno. For me, the jury's still out. I liked what I just saw, but I'm not about to deconstruct it without the aid of a good night's sleep and several virtual pages of fan interpretations. So for now I'll just ask again...

What the fuck?

No comments:

Post a Comment