May 20, 2012

That '70s Show: Season 2


Can you think of a better way to kick off a birthday than by completing a season of a sitcom and posting about it on this blog? I clearly couldn't! At any rate, I've now finished the second season of That '70s Show. I mentioned (I think) while reviewing the first season that I was amazed how many episodes I'd seen, albeit out of order, and definitely in syndication. This season was familiar in a different way; I think I saw some of these episodes back when they originally aired, but there were plenty I hadn't seen before at all. I think Season 1 had more memorably classic episodes than this one did, but it was clear that there was a bit more direction and planning put into Season 2. Some mutli-episodic story arcs took place; Donna's parents fought a lot and separated before getting back together, Kelso tried juggling two girlfriends at once before getting dumped by both, and by season's end Jackie was falling for Hyde. The characters' physical appearances, the ones they'd have for the rest of the show's run, must have been ironed out after Season 1; their personalities, too, became more well-defined. Really, this was just a textbook second season of a long-running sitcom; the kinks have been ironed out, the potential has been mostly realized, and going forward it's just time to tell some stories with a writing staff and ensemble cast that know how to work well together. Oh, and Tommy Chong! Tommy Chong began guest-starring this season and pretty much stole every scene he was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment