May 11, 2011

Here's The Situation


Yep. Last Christmas, my little brother got me two books I had asked for- the masterpieces 2666 and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. He also got me a book I didn't ask for, Here's The Situation written by Jersey Shore star Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino and probably written a lot more by Chris Millis, who appears in the bottom-right corner of the cover and nowhere else in the book. The book came out during the height of Jersey Shore fervor, but couldn't gain any sort of traction in sales and was a huge flop. In fact, I'm going to hold on to this book for a while, I fully expect it to become a collector's item (I was careful not to bend the pages). So what's in the book? For the most part, it's a light-hearted look at The Situation's daily life and his advice for those who venture to the Jersey shore. At times it can get a bit bizarre, with mixed results- a few pages on how to GTL while lost in the woods worked; a story about Grenadie-locks and the six abs was just embarassing. It also suffered from not really knowing what kind of book it wanted to be. At times Situation is a complete self-absorbed asshole, and the book is better off for it, which made the few human parts (Situation tells people to stay in school, Situation helps out a homeless man out of the goodness of his heart) fall on deaf ears. Overall Here's The Situation was much better than it had any right to be, but under no circumstances should that be taken as a recommendation. More like it wasn't a complete pain to read, and was short as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment