May 25, 2011

The Corner


Well, the theme of May so far has been "post on Wednesdays," I guess, as this is the eighth straight post to be made on a Wednesday. (Actually, the theme of May has been "utter logging apathy," but we'll get to that in the monthly recap.) So, The Corner is a six-part HBO miniseries that focuses primarily on one family living by a street corner with heavy drug traffic in Baltimore. It's based on a nonfictional book, and even though the characters are portrayed by actors, every one of them is based on a real life person and all of the events depicted in the miniseries allegedly really happened. But I won't summarize the miniseries for you. Actually, I'm done talking about the recently logged item of interest. Instead, I want to briefly talk about the ever-changing scope and nature of my quest to "log 'em all." I can't have it "both" ways, I've realized, and by that I mean that I cannot go out of my way to collect all kinds of acclaimed TV shows and video games and books while at the same time claiming - to the world and to myself - that I'm on a mission to work my way through every book, game, and movie that I already own. Especially now that I've been working full-time for a year, I'm realizing that there just isn't enough time in the day to finish off my backlog if I'm replenishing it just as often as I'm working on it. And although I only say this now, I came to the realization long ago, and have been acting on it for a few months now, not having made any substantial purchases or acquisitions since Christmas. The biggest dilemma I face is that, the more TV I'm watching, the more TV I want to watch. The more video games I'm beating, the more I want to buy. Whenever I knock my movie backlog down to a handful of films, I seek out more to buy. I guess I'm having trouble maintaining the backlog "hunger" that allows me to make twenty posts a month while still refraining from going on a shopping spree that lands me a dozen new things in the same amount of time. But restraint from acquiring leads to apathy on the logging end. It's a vicious cycle! Perhaps the easiest way to improve my logging efficiency is to cut down on my weekly TV schedule. Summertime will allow me to do that, but it'll also give me far more reasons to go out and do something on any given night. And, hey, there's nothing wrong with living life. Book-reading, movie-watching, and game-playing are all hobbies, and I can honestly and thankfully say I've never planned my social calendar around those hobbies and never will. So I can't even promise that I'll be better at logging and posting this summer. All I can do is have faith that although my interest in logging may be waning a bit as of late, it's dwindled and risen time and time again before. "Productive" spells follow dry ones, and there's no telling when or why the urge to play/watch/read something will strike me. All I can say for sure is that the goal is still the annihilation of my backlog on all fronts, and I'll do what I can to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment