April 30, 2011

Seven Pounds


Rotten Tomatoes has this movie listed at 29% fresh. Metacritic gives it a 36. The most positive score I could find on Metacritic was an 83, and the displayed excerpt from said reviewer was, "A movie that plays better if you know nothing about it going in." Actually, I knew nothing about this movie going in. And I thought it was a decent and alright movie. A tad slow and confusing at first, but in a way that kept me interested and wondering how everything was all going to fit together. But that doesn't mean that all the entertainment from this movie came from a twist ending or a well-crafted revelation. I actually don't really want to say anything more about it, because like the reviewer said, the less you know going in, the better off you are. An important thing to remember is temporal context; this movie came out at the tail end of a three-year streak of Will Smith movies that saw him portray a lone survivor of an apocalypse (I Am Legend), a triumphant rags-to-riches success story (The Pursuit of Happyness), and a superhero (Hancock). Again, I don't want to ruin anything, but this movie might feature Will Smith at his most over-the-top "awesome," if that vague description makes any sense. Perhaps critics were just ready to rip into him and say, "dude, get off the cross already." Because I've seen a lot of movies both good and bad, and honestly, this one wasn't a 2.9 or 3.6 out of ten. Personally I'd give it a seven or so, and I can even see the case for a four through six. I dunno. If you already know anything about it - plot premise-wise, I guess - then I guess you shouldn't bother seeing this movie because you'll just be annoyed by it. But if you're like I was going in, and very "in the dark," then maybe this is something you'd enjoy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment