April 24, 2011

LittleBigPlanet

LittleBigPlanet is a game the BTown loves the shit out of, and so do a lot of other people. It's one of the killer exclusives for the PS3, and one of the first games I bought when I got my PS3. However, it doesn't seem like a great game for logging purposes- it's a platformer whose main emphasis is on customization, especially creating your own levels and uploading them for everyone to try. But as we all know, logging (in most cases) a game just involves getting through the main campaign as quickly as possible. And that's what I did here. The campaign is really nothing special, it's mostly a way to show off some interesting ideas that people can take in creating their own levels. There's 8 worlds of three levels each, each one with a theme of a different locale on Earth (is LittleBigPlanet not supposed to be Earth?)- the American southwest, Japanese temples, the African serengeti, and so on. Most of these levels were easy to breeze through, even the later ones, but two stuck out for being pretty difficult. One level in the American southwest called "The Mines" features a portion where you grab on to a rotating wheel and let it carry you over a gap- I was aware of the grabbing technique, but I can't remember them ever bringing up that you could grab on to some wheels, so I was understandably stuck at that part for a while. The second was the penultimate level, which ends with a giant rotating wheel of death where I had to guide my sackboy from the center all the way out. You get four tries at each checkpoint to get to the next one, or else you have to restart the level- this part had me restarting the level 6 or 7 times. But no big deal. I finished it off, then beat the final level and an easy boss and just like that the game was logged. I know I should try out some random user-created levels, but I've got more PS3 games to play- plus the sequel to LittleBigPlanet is already out, I'll try user-created levels when I beat that.

2 comments:

  1. I felt more or less the same way when I finished LBP - great concept, great opportunities, not a great "beat it and be done with it" type of game. I don't have LBP2 yet, but if you don't mind waiting for me, I say we co-op it. We'll get so many more goodies that way (for whatever they're worth) and it can't be a worse experience than L4D2 was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say we three-way co-op it, and I also know a fourth that would be interested. LBP2 has a more fulfilling single player, with the addition of a story mode, but it still isn't really a backlog game.

    ReplyDelete