April 1, 2011

Pain


Yeah, know what? Let's just call this game beaten. Pain is a downloadable game for the PS3 that I was introduced to years ago at a friend's house. The concept is simple. Too simple. Just fling a person across a city with minimal control over his flight path and try to create as much havoc as possible. The game must be a cash cow, because in addition to the two levels and characters that come standard, there are dozens of levels and characters to purchase for an additional charge. Fuck that. I unlocked every version of the "Downtown" area (the game's only free one) and tried a few of the other game modes before realizing that there really wasn't all that much to this game. Truth be told, I bought it largely due to a new patch that allows the game to be played in 3D. Remember, in my Shrek post I talked at length about 3D movies and TV shows and how they really aren't that much better or cooler than regular movies and TV shows. But 3D gaming is absolutely something I could get behind. Unfortunately, only a few of the game modes in Pain offer 3D support, and none of them is the main game in which you just try to ruin as much stuff and create as high a score as possible. But when dabbling just a bit in the 3D modes, I was impressed. I guess I didn't expect not to be, but there's still something reassuring about playing a 3D video game and not having it suck. So yeah. Pain was fun, but only for like an hour or so. There's just no real replay value here, and replay value is exactly what you'd want from a game like this one.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. I remember playing Pain at J's house, by which I mean I remember everyone else playing it long into the night and being highly amused while I played whatever DS game I had on me and thought "why are they still playing this?" Although, I can understand the appeal of a free 3-D game, if only to test the waters and see if you want to get some real 3-D gaming on.

    ReplyDelete