September 2, 2009

Scrubs: Season 8


Man, I put this DVD set away in a matter of two days. Consider it my summer finale. I got into Scrubs only a few years ago, just in time for it to end. At least, that's what it seemed like at the time; the sixth season was rumored to be the last. Then, when the seventh premiered, it was made clear that it would be the final one. When said season was shortened by the '07 writers' strike, an eighth season was commissioned. This one was certain to be the absolute last season. It even had a very fitting series finale of an ending, complete with a montage of what the main characters' futures will be like. Yet for some reason, a ninth season has been confirmed. I'm torn over my feelings about this. On the one hand, I think it's a great show, and having just viewed last season in its entirety, I can attest that it really hasn't undergone a drop-off in quality or humor like many have blamed it for doing. On the other, come on. When you talk for three years about ending your run, and finally do so, and then opt to come back each time for "just one more year," your act starts to get a little old. A certain Minnesota Viking comes to mind, you know? And the thing is, Scrubs: Season 9 isn't even going to feature many Scrubs regulars. Just Donald Faison (Turk) and John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox) will be returning full-time. The show's format and setting will change as well; now, Turk and Dr. Cox are medical school professors whose students occasionally make rounds through Sacred Heart Hospital. I really wish Bill Lawrence and company would just call this upcoming season exactly what it is: a spin-off. I loved Scrubs and its eight-year run, but sometimes it's you have to know when it's time to hang it up. Look at what's happened to The Simpsons, and even Family Guy after just a couple of years. Enough is enough. Scrubs: Season 8 was great, but I feel a little jilted knowing it wasn't the finale it originally claimed to be. Why invest myself in an ending that only lasts an offseason? I can't stand Brett Favre.

No comments:

Post a Comment