September 13, 2009

The Silence of the Lambs


Would you believe me if I told you I have never seen 1991's best picture, The Silence of the Lambs? Well, you shouldn't. Because now I have. Overall, I was largely impressed by the horror mystery film. Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal was as chilling as movie characters come and the guy who played Buffalo Bill was a pretty creepy dude himself; kudos to both. Jodie Foster is an actress whose work as a whole I am largely unfamiliar with, but she did a pretty decent job with her role as well. The film had a lot going for it; it was suspenseful, psychological, and definitely classic. In fact, it was such a solid and complete movie that the only peeves I had with it at all were of extreme triviality. Allow me to share the biggest one, and see for yourself that I really did enjoy this movie. No real spoilers, I promise. Ready? Okay. So the woman we see Buffalo Bill kidnap is supposed to be a Senator's daughter, but we can clearly see that she lives in a very lower-middle class part of an urban area. Really? I'm just not buying this as anything more than "potentially plausible." So, yeah, my biggest problem with the movie was that something was unlikely to happen. But I mean, show me a movie where that's not the case and I'll show you a hundred where it is. The bottom line is that The Silence of the Lambs was an excellent movie that lived up to its hype. I can't say I'm in any rush to see the rest of the Hannibal movies, but this one gets a nine out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment