September 26, 2009

Dirty Work

It's a good thing no one reads this blog, because if we had millions of readers, I'm sure I'd be under constant fire for checking in only a few times a month while Stan must have over 50 posts so far. I can't claim I have more of a life, I think it's more the fact that I'm lazy. But I can't beat myself up over this lengthy time between updates- since Wolves of the Calla, I've been reading a a book that's somewhat long and definitely slow but still good enough for me to think I can finish, as well as two new games from start to finish. While none of these are done, I decided to backlog a movie this morning and get back to them later. I have a small DVD collection that's already fully watched, but I found a movie I was interested in- Dirty Work- for free on Demand so I gave it a watch. Released in 1998, Dirty Work contains a pretty funny cast- Norm Macdonald, Chevy Chase and Chris Farley being the big names, but there's also some usual suspects who popped up in a few 90's comedies- Artie Lange, Christopher McDonald (remember Shooter from Happy Gilmore, also the coach from that piece of shit Celtic Pride? Ugh.), and even a cameo from Adam Sandler. With a cast like that, you probably know what kind of humor the movie is going to deliver- sophomoric and periodically slapstick, but with a good heart- the same as Tommy Boy, Billy Madison, and the like. So, I was pretty surprised by implied off-screen prison rape, mass-murder, and incest. Not to say it wasn't funny. The deadpan delivery of both Norm and Chevy had me rolling, and even Artie Lange, a train wreck even Mad TV wouldn't employ, was competent in his role. While some of the jokes fell flat, a lot of them didn't, and it has me wondering why Dirty Work isn't remembered as fondly as some of the other 90's comedies from the same cast. Were Big Daddy and Black Sheep really that much better than this? I propose that they weren't. But then, none of them were high cinema in the first place, either. So I guess if you're looking for a funny distraction, Dirty Work works well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment