June 28, 2018

Mario Tennis Aces


Some people absolutely love when Mario does sports. I'm largely content to stick to his bare-knuckle brawling and kart-racing, but in a moment of longing for a multiplayer Switch game - no, really, anything at all - I went ahead and bought the latest Mario Tennis game. I liked it! The single-player mode was brief and varied enough that it never grew stale the way I feared it might - this is, after all, a game in which you hit a ball with a racket over and over and over again - but still challenging and frustrating enough by the end to give me a real feeling of accomplishment and relief when I finally beat some of the later levels. And multiplayer-wise, I mean, it's video game tennis, you know the deal, what more do you want?

I imagine I'll revisit this sporadically over the coming months, dabbling in online play every now and again with friends and strangers alike. But I'm just not very good at it, posting an abysmal record so far of something like 5-20 against the world at large, and an even worse, I dunno, 2-13 against Sheridan.

Do you know what sucks about this game though? There are some extremely basic options just flat out missing. Options like "play a regular tennis match comprised of sets and games" and "select the court you wish to play on." What the hell, Nintendo? This is some extremely basic shit you're lacking. I mean in this day and age it's easy enough to patch those options in, surely, but how does a first party game like this launch without having "customization" options in place that existed back in like 1992?

No comments:

Post a Comment