April 4, 2018

The Detour: Season 3


Oh, right - this ended! I was a strangely big fan of the first two seasons of The Detour - a solid but fairly routine road trip comedy from TBS. But the third season was undeniably the weakest one yet. I still don't hate this - too easy to watch, too consistently funny to ever really dislike, and I never let it build up on the DVR or anything - but putting the family out in the Alaskan wilderness for an entire season felt like the kind of idea that would have made for a great three-episode run but that was dragged all the way out into ten episodes instead. This season's finale also finally brought to an end a weird series-long framing device that never really worked for me, in which the family is getting interviewed after their weird mishaps.

The Detour is probably going to get renewed for a fourth season - has TBS canceled anything yet, since rebooting thir brand? - but it's clear the show was running on fumes already in the third. I'll probably be back for the fourth, if and when it happens. (Again, I do like it!) But I don't have very high hopes. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment