April 30, 2018

Grim Fandango


Man, I really wanted to love this game. Thought I dabbled with it way back in 1998 or so, then recently bought it on the PS4 for a trip down memory lane. Nope! I have no idea what I remember playing as a kid on the computer in 1998, but it almost certainly wasn't Grim Fandango, which is one of the hardest point-and-click adventure games I've ever experienced.

I mean, the dialogue and design were nice and all, but when you need to consult a walkthrough immediately just to get through the very beginning stages of the game - to really begin to play it at all, I guess - I dunno, that's not floating my boat in 2018. Are you really "playing" a game when you're consulting a guide for every single instruction and next step? And if not, is there any difference between playing it yourself and just watching a playthrough on YouTube? And I mean, I was totally down to play an enjoyable game for five or ten hours, but not to just go through the motions.

Shit. I wanted to love this one! And I couldn't. I failed. I was too dumb to figure out what weird combination of balloon animals and hole punches were needed to get my car fixed down in the garage, or something, despite a fifty-line dialogue tree with a receptionist, and it was all downhill from there. This is on me, guys. I fucked up. I never should have bothered!

No comments:

Post a Comment