September 17, 2017

Version Control


I really loved this one. It's the rare book that took me almost a month to finish not because it was a slog or a bore at all but because I was savoring its 500 pages and really letting them sink in. Sadly, trying to describe it, or even why I liked it, feels like a fruitless endeavor at this point. It just kind of sat with me right, you know? Brought up a lot of good points about the way we live today, the places we're headed, the pros and cons of always-online life in the twenty-first century. Anyway, here's my attempt on Goodreads to quickly examine and explain why I liked this book so much:
Here's one of those thought-provoking page-turners where the story's about so much more than the plot, which can be summarized more or less as, "in the near future, a less-than-happy woman accidentally messes with the spacetime continuum when she fools around with her husband's giant research project." Yeah - it's time travel. Except: it's more! So much more, from an exploration of a society designed around automated cars and always-on social media connections to some speculative wormhole theory to a deconstructed longview of dating in the online era to conversations about fate and free will. Race relations, parallel timelines, love, loss, sacrifice, regret - it's all here, like a long and twisting and excellent episode of Black Mirror. Can't imagine this is for everyone, but I absolutely loved it. So glad I chose to... commit!
Yeah, I ended with a Git pun. Fight me. (Please don't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment