July 20, 2017

Silicon Valley: Season 4


This show is such a gem. I feel like it's been going strong since season one without my enjoyment ever dipping. Sure, I hear some of the comments from peanut gallery that at four seasons the show might start to seem trope-ish. Pied Piper is still struggling. Characters are continuously self-desstructive. And then we'll pepper in some satirical jabs at silicon valley-VC folks. We all know the routine by now. 

But that doesn't mean I don't love it. 

The show has had a steady build for me, season over season. This season really seemed to  amp up the crisis over Richard's morals as he encroached on corrupt CEO territory. Likewise, we see the fall (and rise, again) of Gavin Belson. Not to mention Pied Piper is evolving as well. No longer are we solely focused on some outta-this-world compression software. We're actually developing the next wave of the internet -- whatever that's suppose to mean. Exciting, nonetheless. Point is, I feel like this show is steadily growing. And even when watching this alone, I still find myself laughing out loud. 

OK, now time to address the elephant in the room (or lack thereof) -- the departure of T.J. Miller. Easily one of my favorite characters on the show, it's tough to say goodbye to Bachman. It's like Seinfeld losing Kramer! How do you move on from the departure of you're main comic-relief character? I suppose we'll have to see how the show will progress next season, but, regardless, it will be weird not hearing Miller screaming out "JIAN YAAAAAAANG!"

On a similar, yet slightly different, note... I built my list of TV shows I'm hoping to watch by the end of the year. 


Ugh... Since when did watching TV start feeling like a job?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm with you - hear a lot of chatter about how this show peaked, how it's lost now, stuck in neutral, just constantly rebooting what Pied Piper is and reshuffling the cast around into various positions and alliances and buy outs - but I still think that's part of the tech culture satire. Or at least, it works on that level for me.

    Your goals list is pretty solid! Love, love, loved Master of None's second season, always love Rick and Morty, BoJack, and Thrones, was pleased with the first seasons of Glow and Sneaky Pete. Legion was very much not for me, but I think it'll be for you - all my standard superhero gripes apply, so do with that what you will.

    The only thing on your list I can pretty confidently advise against is Taboo. What a mess! What a boring mess. (Still - try it! Try them all!)

    And yes, TV watching takes up an insane amount of time these days. And that's before factoring movies and video games and podcasts. And books! Remember books? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete