July 19, 2017

Stardew Valley


What a delightful little 16-bit farm life simulator... for about 30 hours. Then, what a slog! I'm sorry, I know there are people who devote literally hundreds of hours to games like this, getting all the way to an eighth year on the farm, laying out their farms in these intricate, beautiful patterns. That ain't for me! The facts that, A, 35 hours in, I'd seen most of what this game had to offer, and B, 50 hours in, I'd barely seen anything more at all mean that, C, this is not a game I needed to spend those extra fifteen hours playing, never mind a friggin' hundred.

But I liked this! I really did. Just, whew, oh boy, what a slow game it became once I'd unlocked all kinds of new seeds and farm animals and equipment. Should be, if you ask me, that the further along you get in a game like this, the more all the menial and repetitive as hell tasks should be automated or easily finished. Right? Anyway, that's just not the case with Stardew Valley, at least not nearly enough to make me keep playing after 50 hours. At least it's something you can enjoy while watching television in the background!

And special thanks to Trev for the game key.

No comments:

Post a Comment