January 13, 2016

The Dresden Files: Small Favor (Book #10)


Another Dresden book down. 

If you've been following along with the other Dresden posts I've made, then you'll know that this is the second book where Dresden squares off against the Denarians. You know... the Order of the Blackened Denarians. That evil ancient race powered by the 30 silver coins containing the souls of the fallen angels. The same fallen angels that are bent on bringing about the apocalypse. Those Denarians. Jeez... don't you guys read anything I write?! 

But, yes... as this another book (book #10 to be exact) that's divisible by five, then that means Dresden faces his time-honored nemesis... the Denarians led by the immortal Nicodemus. You know... Nicodemus. The oldest of the Denarians who's host to the fallen angel Anduriel. The same Denarian who wears the noose the killed Judas around his neck and thus that noose and only that noose can kill him. That Nicodemus! 

Ugh... Man, you guys are useless. 

Regardless, this story was another fun one. More magic. More fights. More quippy one-liners from Dresden as he constantly keeps himself just one step ahead of meeting some horrifying death. As the title implies, Dresden is forced to oblige the Queen of Winter by accepting to help her with another favor -- for all those keeping track, this is the second of three favors he owes Queen Mab. (I'm sure all these names and details make total sense to everyone, so I wont even bother explaining.) While fulfilling the favor, which is to locate and return one of Chicago's mob bosses who's mysteriously disappeared, Dresden bumps into the Denarians and realizes shit's about to get real. 

Like the books before this one, it was fun, enjoyable... all-in-all, my guilty pleasure. But after putting ten books down roughly within the last year, I'm getting a little fatigued with all the wizardry nonsense. Sure, it's quality storytelling with excitement and suspense dripping over every page, but a man can only take so much at one time. 

At this point I've tried to start into book #11 Turn Coat, but at 60 pages in I'm struggling hard to keep the inertia going to finish it. Despite my roommate telling me that books #11 and #12 are his favorites, I can't seem to find my second (or, rather 11th) wind to save me. Perhaps Dresden needs a little down time before I realize it's entirely possible to have too much of a good thing. 

Stay tuned for book #11, to be posted... who knows when?

No comments:

Post a Comment