January 14, 2016

Kirby's Adventure


It being B-Town's birthday and all, I decided to chip away at my Kirby backlog a little more. Kirby's Adventure is the second Kirby game and also one of the last games ever made for the NES. It felt a whole lot like Kirby's Dream Land, which makes perfect sense.

These games are cute and charming and, remarkably, not all that old. This game came out in 1993, a good two and a half years into the SNES lifecycle. B-Town once told me that Nintendo likes to end their major consoles with a Kirby game, and the evidence agrees. For instance, Dream Land 3, for the SNES, came out in 1997 - and not until '98 in Japan, even. What's interesting is that such releases come when developers have tapped into every last corner of a given console's processing power - and as such, Kirby games are often among the most beautiful and graphically advanced titles on their own consoles.

I don't have a ton to say about this one. I mean, it's Kirby. You float around, dodge enemies, absorb powers, and kill bosses. The first boss is Whispy Woods and the last two* are Meta Knight and King Dedede. What more do you want?

*(Just kidding! They're actually the antepenultimate and penultimate bosses, respectively. The last boss this time around is an entity called Nightmare, which I'll admit I wasn't expecting! I was wondering why Dedede was the boss of the seventh world when I'd read that the game had eight of them...)

Adorable, easy, enjoyable, quick - I find this whole franchise to be a rather pleasant logging experience so far. Good thing I've got a handful of Kirby games left in my backlog!

No comments:

Post a Comment