August 23, 2014

Assassin's Creed III


I made a big deal about The Last of Us… a really big deal. It’s definitely on my list of top 5 video games of all time. Well Assassin’s Creed III had an even larger impact. Of all the video games I’ve ever beaten, this is my least favorite and it’s not close. There are so many things that this game does and it does all of them poorly. From climbing buildings to attacking enemies to traveling long distances, there isn’t a single aspect of this game’s gameplay that doesn’t miss the mark. The game is super glitchy and loads every few minutes. Oh, and did I mention that the story is HORRENDOUS? FUCK.

Climbing – Let me preface this complaint with saying that I’ve never played an Assassin’s Creed game before. I fully expected the ability to climb anything and everything to be gratifying. It was not. The controls were so touchy that I could barely control where I was going. Oh let me climb this tree… never mind, I’ll attempt to climb this fence three times on my own despite not pressing any buttons. Oh wait, I can’t climb this fence so I will just stand in place for a few seconds before reacting to any button presses. FUCK.

Combat – On the surface, the combat is cool. You get to take out tons of Red Coats with a tomahawk. However, glitchiness gets in the way again. It’s impossible to target a single person. If another person gets in the way, you will automatically switch to hitting them without trying. That would normally be okay except the only way to kill people is to hit a finishing blow on them. The only way to get to a finishing blow is completing a combo. However, you can’t complete a combo when you keep switching from person to person. FUCK.

Long Distance Travel – The world in this game is HUGE. But most of it is just uninhabited mountains and lakes. I was overjoyed when I discovered you could “fast travel” to specific points on the map. I found this convenient because specific missions start in various locations throughout the world. One mission could start in Boston and the very next one could start in Philadelphia! Great. I’ll just go into the map and click on Philadelphia. That transports me to Philadelphia, right? Nope! It transports you to the outskirts of Boston (after a substantial load). Still in Boston, I must cross into the next area on foot (I can no longer “fast travel”). After another substantial load, I am in the Frontier. I then go into the map again and repeat the same process. This process can sometimes go on three or four times before finally reaching my destination. FUCK.

Oh and there are so many missions that just involve following and eavesdropping. Don’t get too close! Stupid. But man, when I finally killed the main bad guy the game was over and I could finally put this to bed. Actually, no wait. I had to solve this stupid puzzle involving setting off three power sources (did I mention that no one prompted me to do this – all of the other characters kept telling me to do something that I couldn’t do until completing this). It sucked. And it took like 40 minutes not including the 20 minutes of cut scenes. But finally, the credits rolled… for 20 minutes! Seriously. You couldn’t skip ‘em. But, I heard there was an epilogue so I stuck around against my better judgment. After another “fast travel” debacle, I was back in Boston looking for “pivots” on the map. The only way to find them was to triangulate using pivotss I already had in my possession. I went into inventory and clicked on the fist pivot. “To access this pivot, you must be connected to the internet. Press X to connect to UPlay.” ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? I immediately turned the game off. FUCK.


The worst part about this game is that it had so much potential. I was so amped about the setting. Check out that fucking cover art! Amazing! But guess what, you don’t get to be that character until 8 hours into the game! This game needed at least another year in development. Avoid it at all costs.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes. I've heard bad, bad things about this game, which is really too bad, because like you I think the concept and potential were phenomenal here.

    I didn't love the first Assassin's Creed, and while fans say it peaks in the second game (well, the trilogy of games that includes the second game and two Ezio spin-offs) I have no motivation to check it out. Particularly because I have 70 other games on my backlog, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very disappointing! I've been holding off on getting back into the Assassin's Creed franchise because I knew 3 was supposedly when things started getting bad, but even knowing that Keith may be prone to hyperbole, "worst game ever" is not something I'm looking forward to. Both you and Stan have tried to get into the series, but the two games you chose seem to be the clear lowlights of the series. Seriously, I love that Ezio trilogy! I'll see if I can address your criticisms-

    Climbing- This is usually noted as one of the game's strengths, not weaknesses. I'm curious if the American landscapes were just less interesting to climb around and explore? In the previous games in the series, climbing is basically just running in whatever direction you specify and holding down a button... X? Square? I can't remember. Now and then the game would think I was trying to climb something I wasn't, but never enough to seriously annoy me. Maybe they tried something new and it didn't work out in AC3?

    Combat- yeah this sounds completely different from the previous games. I probably spent 90% of my combat by performing reversals with the hidden blade. There's little more satisfying than throwing a smoke bomb in the middle of a group of guards, and as they struggle to figure out what's going on, just one-shot like eight of them in a row with the hidden blade. I hardly ever used projectiles or guns.

    Long Distance Travel- okay, this one is DEFINITELY different, and it was a worry of mine when I heard that the game's setting would shift to America. In all three games of the Ezio trilogy, I think there's maybe one large field area . Revelations and Brotherhood hardly ever leave the cities of Rome and Constantinople.

    Other various criticisms- the tail-a-bad-guy missions were few and far between, the puzzles were actually awesome in AC2 and Brotherhood (they get integrated in a kind of creepy fourth-wall breaking way) and I don't think I ever needed to connect to the internet for anything- there's some side missions you can unlock, but nothing major. So basically if you have no interest in coming back to the series, I don't blame you, because it sounds like 3 was really bad. But Trev and I both agreed that the Ezio trilogy was well worth playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the combat criticism could just be that I never learned to be good at the game. As far as climbing goes, I found it super finnicky. I do think III is supposed to be the worst on Wii U so it's possible some of this game's shortcomings related to issues with the port itself instead of the actual game. Still, I know in my heart that this is a terrible game. I can't imagine the series would be popular if all of them were this bad.

    But anyway, I already have two other Assassin's Creed games unfortunately. Alas, I will be revisiting this franchise.

    ReplyDelete