August 6, 2014

The Inbetweeners: The Complete Series


Yeah, another Britcom for me. What can I say? Six-episode seasons and less-than-stellar production values have a certain appeal to them.

"Inbetweeners" is a term I did not know prior to checking this show out. Maybe it's British. Maybe I'm just old. Apparently, it's the term used to describe all the kids in high school who aren't popular but who also aren't social outcasts. (Hey, that was me! And most of my friends. I'm relating to this show already!) The series could pretty aptly be described as American Pie in England, the TV show. It's about four friends, 16 to 18 years old, just making their way in the world. They rag on each other for having hot moms, hot sisters, gay dads, and shitty cars. They spend most of their free time trying to get either drunk or laid, succeeding fairly consistently on the first front and very rarely on the second. They're a little gross and a little socially awkward, but, hey, they're just kids, after all.

This was a pleasant but utterly non-essential show. None of the jokes or misadventures are particularly memorable and most of the entertainment comes from the actors and the chemistry they have with one another. Most episodes feature all four of the guys embarrassing or humiliating themselves in new and unique ways. Again, nothing special, just a bunch of high school hijinks.

A movie was made and a sequel to that movie is coming out soon. I'm sure I'll see both.

No comments:

Post a Comment