June 18, 2014

Adventure Time: Season 1


Yup. I'm watching Adventure Time. I would judge me too if I were you. 

Now, before writing this post I should point out that I had seen episodes here and there when surfing through various TV channels, but nothing ever hooked me. The only thing I remember very clearly from the show was its pilot episode (if you can even call it that) which was a short that aired on Nickelodeon (I think?) back in like 2005 -- years before the the cartoon was actually picked up. It had a great scene where the main character, Finn, gets trapped in ice causing "his mind to mysteriously be sent back in time and to Mars for some reason" where he meets Lincoln who tells him, "He's just got to believe." Ah... memories. 

Point is, aside from that one fleeting scene, I kind of wrote this show off without ever giving it a chance. Until talking with a friend one day who really likes the show and told me something that completely caught me off guard. The show takes place waaay in the future after the apocalypse has wiped most of the human race from the planet and now magic and crazy stuff runs freely through the world. You follow a human child (seemingly the last of his race) who was adopted by a family of dogs (oh, dogs in the future can talk -- of course), and this human, Finn, lives with his adopted-brother and best friend, Jake. (As another side note, Jake has superpowers much like Mr. Fantastic -- can stretch and shrink his body -- after rolling in toxic goo one day.) With all that said, there was enough incentive to make me take a second look at the show.

The question is, is the cartoon any good?

Eh... yes and no. First off, while being another wacky, non-sensical cartoon in the vein of Spongebob, Adventure Time has a true dark side. The show seems to have this bright colorful exterior that when peeled away reveals horrifying monsters and nonchalant tales of death. It's actually really intriguing. A parent could put this on for their children and think they're watching something harmless and fun at first glance. Then, when their back is turned, the kids take in all these messages of despair and suffering and horror told with glitter and rainbows. For that, I approve the show. 

Then there are times when it feels really "kiddy," like when the characters are busting out in song and dance or how they live next to a candy village with its candy villagers. Simple stories that work for a kid's TV show -- maybe a moral message here and there for children to carry with them throughout life. Not that it's bad... but it can get boring. 

The main kicker -- the one thing that completely sells me on the show -- are the irreverent and abrupt endings to most of the episodes. There will be a story of Jake and Finn helping their tiny elephant friend find this legendary apple so she can make the apple pie of her dreams (see what I mean about the kid-themed stories). After a long battle, the episode culminates with the heroes retrieving the legendary apple and offer it up to the elephant for her to taste. She bites in. Pauses with a smile. Then, BOOM! She explodes into nothing leaving Jake and Finn with the horrified looks on their faces. Credits. No explanation at all. It always catches you off guard and makes me laugh out loud even when alone -- which I always am while watching this show. 

Do I recommend? No. Not really. With so much great stuff out there to consume this certainly doesn't rise to the top of my list, and I doubt if I will continue any farther than past the next season or two. Still, I'll hold out for those surprise dark twists that have me in the stitches. 

1 comment:

  1. I have long been intrigued, but have never watched five seconds of this show. How many seasons and episodes are they at right now? I have a terrible condition where I cannot start TV shows without expecting to finish them.

    ReplyDelete